In the phone call, played during the sentencing hearing, Melissa Arrington, 27, listened, as a friend know only as "Little Joe" makes a tasteless attempt to cheer her up. He tells her that she should get a medal and a parade because she had "taken out'' a "tree hugger, a bicyclist, a Frenchman and a gay guy all in one shot."
Arrington can be heard laughing at the comment. After admitting that she is "not supposed to be laughing at stuff like that,'' she seems to reconsider and says, with a giggle, "I would have to agree with that."
Pima County Superior Court Judge Michael R. Cruikshank told Arrington that the call was "breathtaking in it's inhumanity," and sentenced her to the maximum: 10-and-a-half years in jail.
• Baby Burned Alive in Hospital
• Government computers used to view porn 19,000 times
• South Carolina's largest newspaper endorses Barack Obama
• 5-year-old boy handcuffed in school, taken to hospital for misbehaving
• Farmer hides castle from building inspectors with hay bales
• Feds Indict Teen for 'Threatening' Noose
• All Aboard the Home Foreclosure Bus Tour
• Do you think it's okay for voters to use race or gender (poll)?
Way beyond reading. Help write the news. Start a Newsvine column.
Join Newsvine now!