Unless you get a truly enthusiastic response from your interlocutor—which is possible—be very wary of recounting…
1. A dream.
2. The recent changes in your child's nap schedule.
3. The route you took to get here.
4. An excellent meal you once had at a restaurant.
5. The latest additions to your wine cellar.
6. An account of your last tennis game.
7. The plot of a movie, play or TV show—in particular, the funny parts.
What do these subjects have in common? The listener has nothing to add. He or she must just hear you describe your experience.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment